I was a little rueful that I hadn't made my own goal list for 2014 when I saw Lauren's excellent list of 14 in 14 list yesterday, so I decided to search my procrastinating soul to find a few goals of my own to start the new year with (i came up with 6 so I am just going to borrow maybe 8 of hers so that I can have 14 too).
1. Make my patio area not look like sh*t. There's really no other way to say this because that's pretty much what it looks like.It's kind of the overflow department of things I moved out of my house, that somewhat qualified as temporary patio furnishings, or things I found at yard sales that were "too good of a deal to pass up," yet nothing out there that I actually really want. And, then there's other stuff like leaves and broken pots and dead plants, some old toys and it's just an embarrassment of a mess. The problem is it has the potential to be a blank slate. Blank slates scare me. I mean when money is no object they are great, but blank slates can be a bit overwhelming when you like so many different styles and you want to create something on a budget. But this year, I want to take that challenge on. Look it straight in the eyes and start trolling craigslist and pinterest.
2. Learn not to kill indoor plants. I bought about 8 plants last year and they are all dead - even the airplant. Yesterday I bought 2 new plants. If they are still alive at this time next year, well, that will be a victory, or maybe a miracle.
3. Get a chair for my living room. There always seems to be that 'one piece' that I am looking for, last year it was all about the credenza and with just a couple weeks left in the year I finally got one. While I didn't find it and restore it as I had hoped to (it ended up being custom made for me, which really was way more awesome!), I do love the challenge of finding a great piece for a great price from an estate sale or craigslist and this year it's definitely going to be all about a chair for my living room. Maybe even try my hand at a little upholstering. And I might need to add an area rug too, but a new one, not one from craigslist.
4. Get more herbal. Drink tea, make infused water and then actually drink it, buy aromatherapy oils and just make more mindful decisions that influence wellness in and around me (and my kidlets too).
5. Get more organized. Oh the never-ending, work-in-progress goal. My house, my blog, my computer, my business, my time, parenting. I have been working on this for the last couple years. Actually I am not sure if there has ever been a time when I haven't had this as a goal and been working on it. But I think that I have made some real headway in the last year, as in I can actually look around my house and see some of my accomplishments, so in this one I just want to keep going, but with better planning and some fine tuning.
6. Learn something/challenge myself with something new each week. I have a long list of things I want to learn/do: coding (just a little), hand-lettering, improve upon my self-taught remedial graphic design skills, screen printing, networking, photography (there's tons of specifics in just that one), styling, general business "stuff." My problem is I get overwhelmed with all the things I want to learn and do and then I don't. I can't decide. I can't prioritize, so I end up sporadically doing such things, or not doing them at all. My goal is to plan for something each week. Big or small, it doesn't matter. But just live with that intention. Oh, and also for that intention to include being present, following through and stepping outside my comfort zone.
Any goals for you in the new year?
Any goals for you in the new year?