This weekend was a busy one. But it was a sunshine infused one, so the good kind of busy. I don't know what it is about a little sunshine but for me there is nothing that gives me more energy. Not even coffee. I could drink a pot of coffee right before bed and still fall asleep in less than 5 minutes, or lay around and lazily watching tv marathons. But give me a little sunshine and I feel like I suddenly have enough energy for anything and everything. And that is how the weekend started. With sunshine. And a to-list.
Thursday night I laid in bed and thought about how I have been wanting to do something with my bathroom and decided I was just going to proceed with whatever I could. I have been obsessively thinking about how much I despise my floors for years, but the last few months it's hasn't just been something I have wished to do, or wanted to do, but more like I just couldn't live another day with those awful floors. And as a renter there aren't many options. I thought about laying down vinyl over the top but I couldn't find any plain black vinyl. I did find this, which I think I kind of love a lot, but for the price I wanted to know if I'd really like a black floor in my bathroom before I invested that kind of money in a "temporary" rubber floor. So in comes the contact paper. And, yes, I am slightly embarrassed that it's been forever since I have done any kind of DIY project on here, and the last one I posted about also involved (a lot of) contact paper, but, like I said I am a renter. You just have to break out the contact paper sometimes. And that I did. But first I had to paint. You know. Because it's spring and I can't start spring without painting a room in my house.
So I woke up friday and headed to the paint store. I picked out a paint in under 5 minutes (agreeable grey by sherwin williams), this is a record for me. One I am sure I will never break. And then I gutted my bathroom and started painting. I spent a total of 8.5 hours in my bathroom on Friday - also a record. Laying down the contact paper was a little scary. Mostly because I knew I'd cry if I couldn't have black bathroom floors, even if it was only for a day. But it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, though took a lot longer than I expected. And it actually looks good. It's a $6.99 miracle. (it only took me one 24ft roll to do my whole bathroom - with some to spare in fact.)
To lay it I cut it to the length I wanted and I peeled the back off inch by inch and rubbed, rubbed, rubbed down the paper to the floor as I went along. I overlapped the strips slightly (there aren't many contact paper-your-floors tutorials out there), though I wasn't sure about this step, you honestly can't see a single seem. No bubbles either and the texture of my floors underneath, which I hated, actually makes it look much more "real." Side note: The lumpiness in the photos of my floor are actually just my floors which may be why they went for a ugly, textured and lumpy looking floor covering to begin with. Lastly I just tucked the edges under my baseboards as I cut along the edges. And while I will admit I am on "don't leave water on the floors!!" patrol, it's holding up perfectly. And now I know it would be well worth the investment to buy a more long-term flooring option in the future. Or for $6.99 I can just keep going with the contact paper.