I read somewhere once that you can ground any space with a few of your favorite things and rituals. I definitely believe that is true. Running a business out of my house, as I might have mentioned a time or two, or ten, I sometimes have to let the work take over, which can leave me feeling less grounded and more chaotic. Which isn't all that great of a state to be in for either creativity or structured tasks. Right now is one of those times. I am working on wholesale orders, new products and a craft show that is coming up in May. It's a lot. And work has taken over my house as of late. But I do find even if I have to put on my blinders and let the laundry pile up, I do have a few things that I do that makes me feel me feel more grounded and centered, and most of importantly reclaims that sense of home in my house. Because of course motherhood and life is in the mix as well.
1. I always go to bed with a book. I put my phone away and read. Last night I started A Constellation of Vital Phenomena and I can't wait for bedtime tonight. So far, so very good.
2. If anything brings me back to focus or calms me it is lovely scents (there's a lot of scenty goodness on this list). One thing I really love is incense, and I really love it when in comes in a pretty package like this one because I like to keep it out and easily accessible. They say that smell is one of the strongest triggers of memory, and for some reason many of my favorite memories seem to involve the waft of nag champa in the air, or maybe it was just the scent that made the memories pleasant. So that is a regular in my house too.
3. I always like to have a nice throw handy. For myself, to cover something up, for my little ones. It's just one of those comfort things and a soft pretty one is all the better.
4. Candles. If I were a billionaire I think the amount of money I pay in rent now could easily be allocated just to candles. I love the energy they bring into a house, and of course the scents. This candle smells like a library. Two of my favorite things in one!
5. I try to have fresh cut flowers at all times. Right now is my favorite season for flowers. Tulips, peonies, and stargazer lilly's are my favorites. I am currently trying to invest in better vases, as vases seem to be one of those things you end up with. And because I "end up" with them, I never buy them. I'd love to add this crinkle vase to my collection though.
6. I am obsessed with Kate Magik anointing oils. Obsessed I tell you. There are different blends that have various aromatherapy properties. I dab a little bit on all throughout the day, especially before sitting down to work. And perhaps it's all the placebo affect, or just beginning a task with the intention of where you want to be mentally and emotionally, but they really work for me. Right now my favorites are creativity and performance blend and fearlessness and confidence. And they smell so good. I've always loved oils but none as much as these.
7. I tend to channel Mr. Rodgers on a daily basis. I have so many cardigans. I really believe you never can have too many, and I change them out throughout the day. This grey one is probably my favorite style (it goes really good with leggings. speaking of which, leggings should probably be at the very top of this list).
Do you have any rituals or items that help ground you?